Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Home-made Meat Balls

I have been looking for a good recipe for meat balls for quite sometime. I found many recipes using breadcrumbs but I've never bought any before so was quite hesitant to buy a big packet only for making meat balls. Since I am into bento now, it will be another good finger food to store and  pack!

While I was flipping one of the many recipe books in my collection, I discovered one recipe which is quite easy. Though it has a lot of ingredients but I decided to do without most of them except some core ones. The recipes asked for water chestnuts, dried prawns and spring onions but I don't have those with me so I omitted them. Instead I added shallots and breadcrumbs.

I was truly surprised with the results. It tasted better than I've anticipated! I guess what is more important is, they don't disintegrate when I fry them... which was what happened to some of those I did in the past. Finally, I discovered the masking ingredient, which is the good ole white bread! :P

.

.

Ingredients

  • 200g Lean meat (I used pork loin)

  • 2 Shallots (finely chopped)

  • 1.5pcs White bread (removed crust & cut into mini squares)

  • 1tbsp Sunflower or Olive oil (original recipe asked for sesame oil)

  • 2tbsp Corn flour

  • 2 Egg yolks

  • 2tbsp Breadcrumbs

  • Salt and pepper for taste

.

Methods

  1. Clean and minced the meat until very fine and mix with all the other ingredients.

  2. Use a spoon and scoop wanted amount and roll into balls. Compact the meat balls by throwing the balls into your palm a few times (this will help hold all the ingredients together).

  3. Heat up a medium pan with half filled oil and deep fry the meat balls till cook and turned golden brown. Lift up and place them onto paper towel to absorb excess oil.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, have to add white bread! Got to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeap! I read from a few places before but did not think the bread was that important! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely meat balls... looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alice,
    These meat balls taste really good. Worth trying! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I boil them? We've got sore throats and coughs so can't deep fry stuff now...

    And can I just throw in 2 tbs size of white bread? I don't know how to make breadcrumbs :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. KittyCat,

    For this recipe, it have to be deep-fried.
    If you want a boiling type, the types of ingredients used
    are completely different.

    Probably I will do one soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ermm..the white bread is hard one or soft just cut??

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] rice in the upper tier (blue) and dishes in the lower tier (beige). The goodies for today are some meat balls in teriyaki sauce sandwiched between lettuce and red cherry tomatoes, some salted pan-fried prawns, [...]

    ReplyDelete