Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Pork Jerky / Bak Kwa / Long Yuk

Among all the Chinese New Year food that I like most is definitely the pork jerky or bak kwa (Hokkien) or long yuk (Cantonese). It is also a must have for the festive season especially when it comes to gift giving. For that, it command a high price when we purchase from the shops. The last time I bought, I paid RM26 for just 300 grams! Very expensive meat indeed!

I remembered that people actually queued for hours just to buy a few kilos in Singapore! It is insane but these bak kwa guys are reaping big money during CNY just like those mooncake guys during Mooncake festival! Well, I was never that crazy to queue for a few slices of fragrant meat :P Probably they are hard to make thus the high price?

.

.

Actually, I can get them in the Asian grocers here in Melbourne but I decided not to since it is just as expensive as back home. Thought I can live without a few slices of meat :) Then, one fine day, a friend shared a link on how to make these fragrant meat slices and it has been home made since! Yeah! At least I know now what are being mixed into the meat that made them so addictive!

Believe me, it is not difficult to make these at all and imagine the amount of $$ you can save! Best of all, you can add or reduce the ingredients to suit your taste. The recipe I shared here is from another friend which I modified to suit my taste. You are free to adjust it yourself. Try not to press it too thin else it will not be nice... lack the chewy effects. :)

.

Ingredients

  • 1kg Minced meat

  • 200 gm Sugar (sweeter taste nicer)

  • 2 tbsp Black soy sauce

  • 1 tbsp Light soy sauce

  • 4 tbsp Chinese rice wine (glutinous rice wine or rose wine)

  • 2 tbsp Fish sauce

  • 1 tbsp Oyster sauce

  • 4 tbsp Honey (more for glazing while baking/grilling)

  • ¼ tsp Five spice powder

  • ½ tsp Salt

  • Pinch of white pepper

  • Sprinkles of garlic powder

  • Red food coloring (optional)

Marinade over night

.

Methods

1. Spread a sheet of baking paper in the size of the baking tray/cookie sheet onto table and take a         chunk of the marinated meat and spread onto it, slowly pressing the meat around.

             

2. Using another piece of baking paper/clingy wrap to cover the meat, then use a rolling pin to slowly flatten the meat till about 2 to 2.5 mm in thickness. Keep adding more meat and flatten them with the rolling pin until you have filled most of the baking tray.



3. Try leaving a 1 cm gap from the sides of the tray as juices from the meat will ooze out during baking. You can also use the back of the knife to cut/mark some lines on the meat so you can easily fold or cut the meat later.

4. When you are done flattening the meat, remove the top baking paper/clingy wrap and transfer to greased baking tray (I greased with some oil) and remove the other baking paper as well.

5. Bake in preheated oven of 130ºC and bake for 15-20 minutes for both sides.

6. Take the meat out from the oven again, this time glaze them with some honey with a pastry brush as this will help to caramelise the surface to give it a nice charred effect and a beautiful shiny surface.

7. Then increase the temperature to 150ºC and bake/grill till brownish for about 10-15 minutes.

Notes:
You can add chilli flakes or chilli powder too if you like the spicy version.
If you are making beef, best to add some star anise powder to give it an extra kick.






6 comments:

  1. Alice, I am so gonna make it coz we love to eat bak gua....the ingredients and method looks simple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Even this is home made! I salute you. But it does look rather easy to make. Let me find the courage to try it out one day. Yiu Yiu loves this and it's so darn expensive to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, trust me... it is so simple to make that you would think paying RM50 a kilo
    is really a rip off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wai Leng, here everything also DIY else have to pay quite a lot... saw them selling a slice for AUD$2.50
    at the CNY fair here. Minced pork is only $5/kg and I can yield about 15 pcs depending on how thick is
    my meat. Can you imagine how much I can save??? It took me about 2 hours to bake them but if I have a
    BBQ grill, it will definitely be faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,

    looks yummy and thinkin of tryin out yr recipe. i suppose i can use mince chicken or beef instead of pork?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angeleyes aka AliceJanuary 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

    Hi Jean, you can use any meat you like but may need to adjust some of the ingredients.
    For beef, I would suggest you add some star anise and cayenne powder. However, the taste is
    subjective to individual preferences. :)

    ReplyDelete