Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Boiled Sliced Pork with Ginger Soup

One funny thing about pregnant women is they tend to have food cravings! It is one thing that no medical experts can explain why pregnant women have such needs. Well, this is one thing I could not dispute either as I do have different cravings at different time of my pregnancy.

Recently I started to have cravings too (you should be able to guess why!!!) and I just want to have my kind of 'comfort' food. Though the morning sickness has yet to kicks in but I have been thinking a lot about food that I will hardly want to cook or eat on normal days.

Besides craving for Asam Laksa this time, I just wanted to eat something 'warm' and with lots of ginger. I'm not too sure if it is good to consume too much ginger during the early stage of pregnancy since there are no proofs/evidences that they are. I don't cook food with too much ginger everyday so guess it should be fine.

.

.

Ingredients

  • 200g Lean pork loin (Yuk-Ngan in Cantonese) - sliced thinly

  • 50g Old ginger (you can use young ginger too so not that heaty) - sliced thinly

  • 1 Tomato (optional) - remove seeds

  • 1tsp Garlic (optional) - finely chopped

  • 1.5L Water

  • 1.5tsp Corn flour

  • 1tbsp Fish sauce for marinade

  • Pepper for marinade

  • Oil for marinade (soften the meat)

  • Salt for taste

.

Methods

  1. Marinade pork slices with corn flour, fish sauce, pepper and oil and leave for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.

  2. Heat up wok/medium sized pot with a little oil and saute the sliced ginger till fragrant before adding in the chopped garlic as it gets burnt quicker. If you can't stand the smell of garlic, you can omit it.

  3. When both ginger and garlic are well sauteed, add in the water, cover and brings it to boil.

  4. Add in the sliced pork and stir so they will not stick to each other before adding in the tomato.

  5. When it started to boil, add in salt/fish sauce to taste.

2 comments: