Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Steamed Eggs with Minced Pork & Mushroom

I don't normally eat steamed eggs as I preferred to have my eggs fried. Now that Darrius is eating almost anything we are having so I have to consider him when I prepare our meals.

Steamed eggs is quite simple to prepare and it is not as heaty as fried eggs. Before this, the steamed eggs I used to cook is quite hard as I do not add much water as compared to now. The steamed eggs I am preparing now has more water content which make it really soft and smooth... like the Japanese cawanmushi.

Among the tricks I learned about cooking steamed eggs is, it is recommended to use plates or bowls that have a flat surface as the eggs will get cooked more evenly. The other thing is, always to cover the plate with a string-wrap when steaming so that the water from the steam will not falls on the eggs and scars the surface.

.



.

Ingredients

  • 3 Eggs (large)

  • 3/4 cup water

  • 40g Minced pork (marinate with a sprinkle of salt)

  • 1pc Chinese mushroom (diced)

  • 1/4 of a Carrot (cut some for garnishing and the bits used for steaming)

.
Methods

  1. Beat eggs with a little salt and filter it into a flat plate or bowl. Throw away the residue.

  2. Add in the water, minced pork, mushroom bits and the carrot bits. Stir and disintegrate them do the minced pork does not clutter together. Then cover with a string-wrap.

  3. Put in to steam for about 7-10 minutes. Place the carrot used for garnishing in another small bowl and steam along with the eggs.

  4. When eggs are cooked, remove the wrap and make sure the water did not drip on the eggs. Placed the steamed carrot slices on top before serving.

.

5 comments:

  1. Alice, I steam with low fire so that it has smooth surface. no need the cover :p

    Btw, my granny did very fantastic tofu like steam egg. she even use a huge soup bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! thanks for the recipe! Atleast i have an idea of what to cook for my hubby tonight! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chin nee,

    Thanks for the tips. I shall try that the next time I steam my eggs.
    Probably that's how they do cawanmuchi hor?

    Ann,
    Hope your hubby likes steam eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Medical School Options for You wrote an interesting post today on Steamed Eggs with Minced Pork & MushroomHere’s a quick excerptSteamed eggs is quite simple to prepare and it is not as heaty as fried … 1pc Chinese mushroom (diced) 1/4 of a Carrot (cut some for garnishing… [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chawanmushi! Gonna try this recipe one of these days for Lucas. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete