Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Purple Amaranth (bayam) with Dried Prawns Sambal

This is my first time seeing a purple bayam (yin choi [??]) or Amaranth being sold here. In fact, I've never even heard of such thing before. It was on one of my regular marketing session at Tesco that I pick up this packet of purple spinach which I find quite interesting.

The look and feel is somehow different from the regular bayam (yuen choy) that I normally buy. It has short stem and it looked more like ti-wang-chai (also short stem and has a sticky gluey liquid coming out from the stem) than the regular bayam but I was told they were from the same family.

Seeing the texture, I decided to cook with dried prawns sambal as I don't think cooking it in other styles will be suitable. And I was right. It turns out good with the sambal.

.


.

Ingredients

  • 1 packet Purple (about 200g) - peel away the end of stems

  • 2-3 tsp of Dried prawns sambal

  • Water



.
Methods

  1. Heat up wok with 2-3 tbsp of oil and gently fry the dried prawns sambal till slightly fragrant.

  2. Toss in the purple bayam, stir to mix well. Add a little water, stir and cover for a few minutes till the bayam is soften. Serve while still hot.

.

4 comments:

  1. [...] So, have you seen or eat this before??? I’ve cooked it and it tasted quite nice. If you want to know how the recipe, hop over here. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think my mom bought it before from the market. she cooked soup with it ;D Your dish looks yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halo. Just hopped over from My Love My Food.
    I don't like to cook this as it looks quite unappetising .. totally opposite to your blog! I'll be checking out your previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,

    I din know can cook soup with this. I shall try the next time.


    Hi Tummythoz,

    Welcome!
    Hope you have fun browing around... and be back for more recipes!

    ReplyDelete