Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Winter Melon Soup

Again, I have to apologise to all of you who has been dropping by but there's no updates for such a long time. I have lots of recipes to share but I always want to make sure there is a nice photo to accompany each of my post. As we only have one digital camera at home and if PiggyBeng brought along with him for his business trips, I will not be able to snap any of the dishes I made.

Yesterday, my MIL bought a piece of winter melon for soup but she was too busy to cook so I've offered to do the job. As I have a Cantonese background, soup drinking plays an important part in my life. My MIL on the other hand is a Hokkien and she will usually just boil her soup for 45 minutes max which is not enough to bring out the fragrance of all the ingredients. The way Cantonese prepared their soup is about 'heart' as it takes a good few hours to boil the perfect soup and it's meant for the loved ones to consumed.

 .




Ingredients

  • 1 slice Winter melon (based on the diameter of 8" and thickness 2")

  • 400gm Pork ribs or Chicken pieces

  • 3.5-4 litre Water

  • 8-10pcs Red dates

  • 3-5pcs Dried oysters (ho-see)

  • 3tbsp Fish sauce or salt to taste

.
Method

  1. Boil water and add in pork ribs/chicken pieces and let it boils again.

  2. Cut winter melon into small cubes of 1" (removed seeds and cut away skin) and add into boiling water with pork ribs/chicken pieces, continue to let it boil for 10 minutes.

  3. Add in red dates and dried oysters and boil with slow fire for 2.5 hours.

  4. Add in fish sauce or salt for tastes.

.

2 comments:

  1. wow... now i must try yr recipe. i use shark-fin melon... er, let me buy this weekend and show it to you ah... i think you know which one when i post the pic... hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the shark fins melon but I find it not as good as the good ole winter melon leh... :P

    ReplyDelete