Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Anchovies Fried Rice

There was half a pot of rice left from last night and since I was going out for dinner with MIL tonight, I decided to fry the rice for PiggyBeng... he has got a conference call so can't join us.

I did not managed to get any chicken meat and not wanted to let PiggyBeng eating too much salted fish, then I thought of using those anchovies (ikan bilis) that I bought during my previous KL trip. The anchovies gave the fried rice a good fragrance and it's definitely healtier than salted fish. :)


.



Ingredients

  • 3 cups Cooked rice (best if kept in the fridge over night)

  • 40-50g Anchovies

  • 1 Onion (sliced thinly)

  • 2 Chili padi (chopped)

  • Carrot (cut to strips)

  • 1 Egg (beaten)

  • 1/2 tsp Dark soy sauce

  • 1 tsp Light soy sauce

  • Pepper for taste

Garnishing:

  • 1 Egg - Beat and fried into ommelet then cut into thin strips

  • Carrot - Sliced and boil

  • Brocolli - Boil

.
Methods

  1. Heat up wok with 2 tbsp oil and fry the anchovies until turned light golden brown and lift up.

  2. Use the remaining oil in the wok and sauteed onion till soft and add in carrot strips and chopped chilies, continue to stir.

  3. Mash up the rice before pouring it into the wok and fry together with the onion and chillies. Add in dark soy sauce and light soy sauce while continue to stir.

  4. Beat egg and pour in slowly while continue to stir until all are well mixed.

  5. Add in the fried anchovies, stir and lift up from wok.

.
Tips: Keep adding cooking oil little by little while frying and not pouring so much oil at one go as the rice will absorb the oil very quickly and make the rice too oily when you are done. :P

8 comments:

  1. These are the ngan yu jai, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. this site is getting better and better now... every evening when i reached home, i will just switch on the lap and log in here... then, i pick from here what i want to cook... hahahaha. thanks angeleyes for the beeee-u-ti-ful recipes.... post some spicy recipe can ah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your cooking style.. very precise.. thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vien,
    Nope...the normal ikan bilis but removed the intestines and bones.

    Angie,
    Thanks for your support! Will try to come out with some spicy stuff soon.

    Janice,
    Welcome! Hope you have fun cooking and trying out the recipes here.

    Sasha,
    Aiyah... this is my duty mah... must always make sure the man's tummy is warm and full...

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Angeleyes in Seafood, Vegetables, Halal, Legumes, Medium Stir-fry. trackback I had a request from Angeline a few weeks back asking for some spicy dishes. I seldom cook spicy dishes as they are rather heaty [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] a crave for it since I had it last week in one of the food stall. Initially I have wanted to cook anchovies fried rice but I ran out of the medium sized anchovies so I settled for salted fish fried rice instead. I just [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] Asam Laksa in my bento so I thought I’ll have fried rice instead. This time I managed to make anchovies fried rice. The ingredients were a little different as I wanted to clear some of the vege in my [...]

    ReplyDelete