Pages

Friday, December 15, 2006

UFO Soup


Another of my all time favourite... UFO soup! I got this name from an old friend (of Ceylonese descent) who enjoys Chinese food and she explained to me why she called it UFO... because when it is sliced, it looked like a flying saucer! Well, it is no other than the good ole lotus roots which has many nutritional values and of cause very yummy too.

.



According to a nursing mom from the breastfeeding forum I participated in, said that lotus roots soup with added peanuts can help to boost milk production. As I am still nursing, there is no better reasons to boil this soup every week! Yeap! I make sure I have at least a serve of this soup every week to help me with my milk production.

I'm not sure how true it that but my little monster who needs his mama's milk is one satisfied baby till today! :P



Ingredients

  • 3 L Water

  • 400-500g chicken pieces (old mother hen)

  • 2 sections of Lotus roots (sliced)

  • 2? Salted preserved vege (tai-tao-choy) cut into strips

  • 8/10 pcs Red dates (remove seeds)

  • 150g Raw peanuts (pre-boiled in another sauce pan)

  • 3-4 Slices of dried cuttlefish (about 3x5 cm)

.



.

Methods

  1. When water come to a boil, add in pork ribs or chicken pieces and boil for 5 minutes.

  2. Add in sliced lotus roots and boiled peanuts and let it boil for another 10 minutes. Then add in the other ingredients and let it boil for a further 5 minutes.

  3. Use slow fire and boil soup for 3 hours.

..

6 comments:

  1. haha, believe it or not; i made this very same soup yesterday! haha... i omit the tai tao choy and i used chue kuat instead. tasted yummy... got a bowl left over so will heat it up and drink later for lunch... hehe... yet to find the shark-fin melon la...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily,

    Regards to using mutton... I'm not sure if the soup will turn out nice as mutton do have strong smell and I'm not a fan of mutton :). What I could suggest is use old mother hen... the taste is really good.
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] actually cooked a huge pot of UFO soup on Wednesday and intend to just serve Darrius some together with white rice. Then the Lil’ [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Beng cooked some Asam Prawns so I gave some to Darrius knowing he loves eating prawns. He had some UFO Soup to go with his bento [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] snacking in between so I don’t want to force him to eat too much. I cooked another big pot of UFO soup so Darrius will definitely go for the soup more than the rice if I let him eat by [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] of pearl corn some strawberries, broccoli and a cherry tomato. On top of that, he gets a bowl of lotus root soup too which was not in the [...]

    ReplyDelete