Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Old Yellow Cucumber with Pork Ribs Soup

Soup soup soup.... ok... I'm addicted to soup drinking... hehehe :)

Like winter melon, old yellow cucumber is another soup that have a cooling effect. So, if you are in your early stage of pregnancy, do try to avoid those soups that have melon as a main ingredient.




 .

I seldom prepare this soup but I used to drink a lot when I was younger as this is one of my mom's favourite soup. Even my grandmother loved to prepare this soup and during the bygone days, there are not so much choices in the market everyday anyway, so the old yellow cucumber is one of the daily item you can find in the vege stalls... ok... I hope I don't sound too crapy with this yesteryear stuff... hehhee



 .

Ingredients

  • 400g Pork ribs

  • 3L Water

  • 1 Old yellow cucumber

  • 8-10pcs Red dates

  • 3-5pcs Dried osyters (ho-see) or dried squid

  • 1 stick Carrot (optional)

  • Fish sauce or salt for taste

.
Methods

  1. Cut the two tips off the old yellow cucumber and gently rub the end of the cucumber using one tip on one side. You will see some foamy stuff coming out after a few seconds. Do for about 20 seconds and wash away the foam. (I was told that this process will wash away the bitterness from the cucumber) Cut the cucumber into half and remove the centre (seeds) then cut into thick long strip (1st picture above). Leave the skin on.

  2. When the water come to a boil, put in the pork ribs then boil for 5 minutes. Add in the cut cucumber and carrot (cubed) followed by red dates and dried oysters.

  3. Wait for it to boil for 5 minutes and turn to slow fire. Continue to boil for 2.5 hours.

  4. Add in fish sauce or salt before serving.

.

5 comments:

  1. Wah I love this soup la!!! here in Uk kenot get this kind of melon lor!! So sometimes we hv to substitute with sumthin else lor!!! Aiyo make me hungry liao!!! Craving for tat soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe I'm a lover of this as well..I cook it every fortnight LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wen,
    Oh, they don't sell it in UK??? Not even a vaccum wrapped ones? I ever bought vaccum wrapped lotus roots in Aus but never thought about this old yellow cucumber then.

    jazzmint,
    wah... u loyal fan ah? :P

    sasha,
    maybe you can cook some this weekend.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] I boiled some Old Yellow Cucumber Soup and I actually added extra dates so the soup was exceptionally sweet and tasty. When PiggyBeng came [...]

    ReplyDelete