Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bottled Dried Prawns Sambal

Sometimes it is a hassle to prepare ingredients just to cook a small dish. When I need to grind or ground chillies or other condiments, I prefer to do a huge batch and keep them in the freezer for future use so I don't have to wash my blender every time I want to cook or use the particular ingredient or mix.

This is when the small bottle container comes in handy. I used to give Darrius some bottled/jar food when we were traveling and I will keep these bottles as there are quite useful for keeping moist items. In this case, I stored the excess dried prawns sambal so I can use them when I need to and don't have to go through the hassle to grind just a small portion.

.


.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Dried prawns

  • 7pcs Red chillies (cut into big chunks)

  • 2pcs Chili padi (cut into small chunks)

  • 4-5 cloves Garlic (cut into small chunks)

  • 7-8 pcs Shallot (cut into small chunks)

  • 1" Belacan (cut to smaller pieces)

.

Methods

  1. Mix all the cut ingredients into a big bowl. Scoop 3-4 spoonful into grinder and grind till everything are really smashed up. Continue till all ingredients are done.

  2. To store, put them into small bottles, around 2-3 portions in each bottle. Store them in the freezer.

  3. When you need to use, bring one bottle down to defrost in the fridge. One small bottle can stored up to 3 portions (use 3 times for cooking a normal plate of vege).

.

4 comments:

  1. [...] the texture, I decided to cook with dried prawns sambal as I don’t think cooking it in other styles will be suitable. And I was right. It turns out [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. my end product doesn't look as "orangey" as yours... does the problem lie with the dried shrimps? and does it make any difference to toast the belacan before grinding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jusmeiz,

    I think the colour is due to the chilies and dried prawns. Don't use any dried chilies as it will make it very dark and 'aging' looking.

    Also, when you buy the dried prawns, make sure they are fresh with very bright orange colour and not those dull and murky looking ones.

    I did not toast the belacan for this one as I still need to stir-fry it but if you toast it should not have any effects on the colour. Just that don't put too much. Coz the size of your chilies may vary so if you have too much belacan the colour will sure to be in darker tone.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] found some long beans in the fridge and decided to stir-fry with the sambal prawns left by my MIL to make another dish for dinner. I took out some of the long beans and steam them in [...]

    ReplyDelete