Pages

Friday, January 26, 2007

Suan-Lat Tang (Sourish & Spicy Soup)

Another PiggyBeng's favourite... :P

I used to boil this soup very often as I like the sourish and spicy taste of the Sze Chuan vegetable (a type of preserved mustard head, normally from China). There are many versions but I like this version better as I put in alot more vegetables to sweeten the soup. So if you are craving for some sourish and spicy stuff... try this soup. It taste extra good on a rainy day!

.




Ingredients

  • 2 medium sized Sze Chuan Vegetable (sliced to 5mm thickness)

  • 400g Pork ribs (an also use chicken)

  • 2 sticks Carrots (cubed)

  • 3 medium sized Tomatoes

  • 3-4 litre of Water

  • 2pcs Soft tofu

  • 1/2 tsp Peppercorns (more if you like it to be more spicy)

  • Shallots (optional)

.
Methods

  1. Boil water till boiling, add in pork ribs and let boil for 2 minutes.

  2. Add in sliced Sze Chuan vegetable and let it boil for another few minutes then add in the cubed carrots, shallots and crushed peppercorns boil for an hour on low fire.

  3. Cut tomatoes into four sides, seeds removed and add into soup and cook for another hour.

  4. When about to turn off fire, put in the cut soft tofu and let it boil for 5-10 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Yours looks very different from the ones made here. The US version has thinly sliced pork, sliced tofu, sliced black fungus and sliced sze chuan veg. Pepper will be added and soup thickened with egg and some cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recenly made this soup (just using pork, pickled mustard stems, and tomatoes). Love the sourish-ness of the soup ;p
    And so simple to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *slurp slurp saliva* i sore troat lor cannot eat! Uwaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's lovely. love your tamarind chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vien,
    This one is the normal 'char-hoi-tong'. Very common here. Not sure u had it b4 or not. The one you mentioned is hot and spicy soup... the thivk think like shark fins... also one of my favourite.

    tigerfish,
    you bet! At least you can get to savour something from back home right?

    Sasha,
    wait till sore throat recover then eat until kau-kau lor! LOL

    Jacob,
    Hope you will try cooking some soon and taste it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is 'char choy' right? ya ya, my mom also like to cook this soup but her ingredients is some sort like ABC soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi dear : I am new in your blog but I am wenwen big sis , I get your blog from her side, I am a cook but then I never try to cook like you , each time I look into your blog it make me wanted to cook something from you , I have try the fish dish is very good ,becos my hubby is a white men he don't eat thing like this kind of very tradition dish so I have miss out lot , but then today is a snowing day I will love to cook this soup of your to warm myself up , keep comming more dish please , B.T.W the heb soup you did last time I ma cooking today . thank dear xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] we will cook soup with preserved mustard head but it is a little spicy for Darrius so I will boil non-spicy soup if I could. PiggyBeng loves the [...]

    ReplyDelete