Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Fried Fish Fillet in Tangy Lemon Juice

I had the worst case of nausea during my pregancy. My appetite was really poor and I lost a lot of weight during my the 1st and part of my 2nd trimester. When my appetite begin to get better, I started craving for sourish food. For most of my pregnancy, I was staying at my mom's place as my PiggyBeng has to travel and MIL is in Germany with SIL, so there isn't anyone to take care of me. Therefore, PiggyBeng sent me back to my parents' place... it was a wise decision...

From what I've read, fish is a good source of Omega 3 and it is good to consume at least 2 fish meals a week especially during pregnancy. Therefore, mom tried to prepare adequate portion of fish for my diet. That was when I discovered mom's fried fish recipe which I fell in love instantly... and my appetite was better than before! The special ingredient? Lemon!

.



Ingredients

  • 1 slice Siakap (deep-sea) or Salmon fillet

  • 1 Chili padi

  • 1.5" Old ginger (shredded)

  • 1/6 of a Lemon juice

  • 1.5 tsp Light soy sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand is recommended)

  • 50ml Water

.
Methods

  1. Heat up wok with oil. When oil is hot (can see smoke rising) turn to low fire and gently put in the fish fillet. Fried till both sides turn golden brown. Lift up and put on a plate.

  2. Using the remaining oil in the wok, fry ginger and chili until fragrant. Lift up and put on top of fried fish.

  3. In a small bowl, mix light soy sauce with lemon juice and water. Pour into the wok, stir and let it boil for 1 minute then pour over fried fish fillet. Serve.

8 comments:

  1. nolar... was saying about my 1st pregnancy with Darrius lar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was having evening nausea during my 1st trimester too.. now.. it's 2nd and it's getting better (hopefully) . this dish looks yummy and easy !!... Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo - I have never thought of lemon juice although I always do my fish this way -- hmm, should try it out :)
    I noticed that most of your dishes got chilli padi, yeah us Penagites cannot live without it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to find your website...looks like another fellow Penangite who is always busy in the kitchen. Your siakap fish looks sooo good, the fried ginger and chopped chili padi basically sealed the deal for me. It's hard to get decent fresh fish in where I am now and it's exceedingly frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumyum, i made fish fillet but minus the lemon juice la.. next time must try yr recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. janice,
    hope you are feeling better...I hated those days when I only puke and sleep!

    anne,
    I'm not from Penang but married to one. I find that cili padi really give that kinda ooouummpphh to my cooking! heheh :P

    Bee,
    Thanks for dropping by. I can understand your frustration with those food you can't get in US and similarly here where I can't find things that available only in US! Sama-sama... *sigh* Sometimes have to substitute with something else.

    Angeline,
    The lemon is the angel... eeerrr... devil here... the sauce make you chomp in more rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fried ginger reminds me so much of all the homecooked food I've eaten while I'm in S'pore. Hard to get fresh fish here....but maybe I can try to get a good salmon fillet. ;p

    ReplyDelete