Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Strawberries & Cream Swissroll

Besides chiffon and sponge cake, I am also a fan of Swissrolls. Well, probably it is also another type of sponge cake! :P I just like cakes that are not too heavy but spongy and light. I don't really fancy buttercream but happy with some fresh cream. Used to buy a lot of Swissrolls each time we visit Ipoh. I guessed everyone who has visited Ipoh, knew about or tasted JJ Swissrolls. I was a HUGE fan! hehehe Each time we pass by Ipoh, we never fail to pack a few rolls home!

All these while I have the perception that Swissroll is a challenge to make... especially the rolling part. It kinda scares me off thus I have never have the courage to try making any... until yesterday!

However, after joining the Munch Ministry FB Group and reading on so many amateur bakers trying their hands on baking a varieties of bakes, I decided to gather my courage to try baking something I really like but does not have the guts before. I am so happy I overcame this fear and bake my very first Swissroll!



Also, it is the strawberry season again (I think there is 2 seasons here in a year!) that I bought so many punnets of strawberries the last few weeks! My kids are more than happy to eat them fresh but a few days ago, my boy asked for cream on cakes. That sparked the idea of making this strawberries and cream Swissroll.

.

Ingredients

(A)
  • 5 Egg yolks

  • 80g Caster sugar (I think can go even lower)

  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract

  • 2 tsp Melted butter

  • 60g Heavy cream (Whipping cream)

  • 1 tsp Lemon zest (I put almost 1tbsp as I have so many lemons!)

  • 1 tsp Fresh lemon juice

  • 55g Cake flour

(B)
  • 5 Egg whites

  • ½tsp + 2 pinches of Cream of tartar

  • 95g Caster sugar

  • Pinch of salt


Cream filling
  • ½ Cup of Whipping cream (I used 1 cup as my kids love extra cream)

  • 4 tbsp Icing sugar

  • 1tsp Vanilla extract

  • Hulled strawberries and cut into small chunks or quartered


Methods
  1. First, line a 10 inch x 15 inch baking try by spraying some oil onto the pan so the parchment paper will stick onto the pan. Leave aside.

  2. Start with (A). Cream the egg yolks with the caster sugar with a whisk until pale and creamy. You can use a mixer too which can be done faster!

  3. Add in the vanilla extract, mix well then followed by the melted butter, heavy cream, lemon zest and the lemon juice while continue whisking.

  4. Sift in the cake flour and gently fold in using a rubber spatula. Set aside.

  5. Move on to (B). In a mixer mixing bowl, beat egg whites till foamy then sprinkle in the cream of tartar. Then slowly pour in the caster sugar in mid speed. Once all the sugar has been mixed in, switch your mixer to high speed and beat till stiff peak.

  6. Take about ¼ of (B) and fold into (A) in one direction gently and not compressing the air in the egg white. Continue with the rest of the egg white. Your batter should be runny now and in pale creamy yellow.

  7. Pour into baking try and bake in 170ºC preheated oven for about 20 minutes then increase to 180ºC degree for another 3 minutes.

  8. Leave it in the oven with door ajar (this is to avoid the sudden drop of temperature) for a few minutes before cooling on rack.

  9. Prepare the cream for filling by whipping it with icing sugar and vanilla extract till stiff peak using a mixer. Chill it in the fridge.

  10. When cake is completely cooled, spread the chilled cream onto the entire cake surface but keep the end thinner so your cream will not get squashed out after you rolled your cake.

  11. Place all the cut strawberry chunks onto the cake and slowly roll peeling the parchment paper along as you roll. There maybe some batter that will stick onto the paper but don't worry, just continue rolling.

  12. Once you are done, throw away the parchment paper and wrap your cake with a fresh piece of parchment paper to keep the shape. Chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before cutting. I blast chill in the freezer :P

  13. Cut both ends away for a better presentation.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angeleyes, is there any way to print out this recipe? I can't seem to copy and paste, and didn't know you had a new blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D! Yeah, this blog is actually older than BentoFun!
    I'll PM you a copy of the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've been busy in the kitchen :-) Your cakes are so nicely decorated. I'm sure they taste awesome too - you just have that magic touch when it comes to baking, decorating and bentoing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks dear for the compliments! It is just a passion to do all these.
    I am sure if you practice more you'll achieve the same results too! :)

    ReplyDelete