Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Creamy Caramel Popcorns with HCP

Like many Asian moms, I am on the HCP bandwagon too! I purchased my HCP or commonly known as Happy Call Pan which is from Korea months before but only got to use it after my confinement was over. My mom brought it over from Malaysia when she came over to help me with my confinement.

So, for the last 3 months I have been using this very versatile pan to do most of my cooking. This pan is really good as I can use minimal oil to do stir frying. In fact it can fry fish without using any oil so there will be no oil splattering on the stove top! However, I don't fry fish all the time since the hubby prefer steamed fish.

Two weeks ago, while shopping at Target, they were promoting this handy popcorn maker and gave out free popcorns. My girl has 2 servings and began to bug me for more. Feeling a little embarrassed, I told her that I'll make them for her since I knew my HCP can do the job. Also, I am missing those sweet and crunchy popcorns we used to buy from the cinema so I was so eager to try making them! :D

.

.

I went to get some corn grains from the supermarket and tested them out. The first try was not so successful as the corn grains did not popped properly. There were many un-popped grains. Thus, I went to search for the popping corn grains and was lucky I found a grocer nearby my place that has it. It was selling much cheaper too! Was so happy to get fluffy looking popcorns. :)

Next was having the perfect caramel to coat these fluffy pops. Tested out 2 different recipes for the caramel sauce with the first one too oily and decided to try the second which has cream. I tweaked the recipe and finally got a good combo.

.

Ingredients
  • ½ cup Corn grains

  • 2tbsp Oil

  • 50g Butter

  • ¾ cup Raw sugar

  • 2tbsp Honey

  • 2tbsp Thick cream

  • A pinch of salt


Methods
  1. Line a baking tray or a big mixing bowl with parchment paper.

  2. Heat up both sides of the HCP using medium flame for a minute.

  3. Heat up the oil for a minute and toss in a corn grain to test. If the oil is hot enough the grain will 'dance' in the hot oil before it pops.

  4. Toss in the rest of the corn grains, stir them a little and make sure all are coated with oil before you close and lock the pan.

  5. When they are ready, you'll hear popping sound. Shake the pan a bit and turn to small flame. Move the pan around so that every area get heated. Off the flame when the popping sound stopped.

  6. Move all the popcorns to the prepared tray or bowl.

  7. Clean the HCP off all the residue from the popcorns with a kitchen towel.

  8. Heat the pan again and melt the butter. Add in the sugar and stir continuously till all are well mixed. Sprinkle in the salt.

  9. When the butter and sugar mixture starts to boil and you can see it bubbles, stir and switch to small flame and continue stirring for another 3 or 5 minutes.

  10. When it starts to brown, add in the honey and thick cream and stir till well mixed and let it continue to caramelize.

  11. Once the caramel turn darker brown, switch off the fire and very quickly pour it over the popped corns. You have to do this very quickly as the caramel solidify very fast. Give the the popcorns and caramel a quick stir so all the popcorns will be coated.

  12. Store in air tight containers if you want to consume later.

No comments:

Post a Comment