Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Marbled Chiffon Cake

Though I've been baking cakes for years but I do not have the courage to bake any chiffon cakes even when I've already bought the pan for more than 2 years! I heard of the intricacies involved and it just scares me off! I lurve chiffon cakes since I was a young girl as I just love the fluffiness. Since my mom is not keen to bake so I will usually get my pandan chiffon fix every weekend from the bread and cake stall at the pasar malam (night market). Now that we have moved to Melbourne, chiffon cakes does not come cheap. So, no choice, gotta DIY!

Over the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with some recipes that I got online. I tried a few and so far only get 2 successful cakes out of the four I attempted. Not bad... 50:50 :lol:

The first was a chocolate chiffon... it was so good that it was gone within minutes I took it off the pan! Don't even have chance to snap any nice photos! Will have to make again so I could share the recipe here. :) Then I attempted the pandan chiffon and both attempts was sort of a failure. First was too dense and second, I put the wrong ingredients so it collapsed! :lol:

Then a friend shared with me her 'fool proof' recipe from Agnes Chang's recipe book. It was supposed to be a basic chiffon but I tweaked it to make a marbled chiffon instead. And tadaaaa....

.

.

The texture of the cake is pretty spongy and not too sweet. The cocoa powder gave a very fragrant aroma to the cake. This is definitely a keeper! :)

.

Ingredients

(A)

  • 5 Egg yolks

  • 150g Self raising flour (take away 2 tbsp and replaced with cocoa powder)

  • 75g Castor sugar (I only used 60g)

  • 5tbsp Vege/Conola/Corn Oil

  • 5tbsp Water

(B)

  • 5 Egg whites

  • ½tsp Cream of Tartar

  • 75g Castor sugar


Methods
  1. In a mixing bowl, cream egg yolks with caster sugar till well mixed. Add in the vege oil, mix well. Add in the water and beat till fluffy before sift in the flour except the cocoa powder. When all combined, take half of the batter out into another mixing bowl and mix with the cocoa powder (best to sift first).

  2. Whisk the egg whites using a mixer till fluffy and slowly add in the sugar then the cream of tartar. Whisk on high till it reached stiff peak.

  3. Divide the egg white into 2 even portions. Slowly fold in (in one direction) into both the egg yolk batter with a rubber spatula.

  4. Fill a 22cm (or a smaller if you like tall cake) chiffon pan alternating both batter to get the marbling effects.

  5. Bake in preheated oven at 150ºC for 30 minutes till light brown and increase to 180ºC for about 20 minutes or till golden brown.

  6. Leave the cake in the oven with oven door ajar for a few minutes before inverting it and leave it to cool before taking the cake out.


In the original recipe, all you need to do is to combine A and mix well then add in B since no cocoa powder was involved.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very lovely chiffon. The swirls are so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mich! Will be baking more and test more recipes too. :)

    ReplyDelete