Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Keeping your Scouring Sponge Last Longer

Previously, I used to change my scouring sponge every 2 or 3 months as the scouring pad tend to detach easily from the sponge. I always thought that the one I bought are not from 'branded range' so I decided to get the 3M ones thinking they could stick better and longer. Well, I was wrong - again! The same thing happened!

Then I was at my mom's place and I told her about this little problem I had. She then told me that I should stitch a 'cross' on the sponge to keep the sponge and scouring pad together. Hmm.... ya hor! :) And I set out my experiment...

.

.

For the purpose of this post, I have first made one and used it since April last year. It is proven that it does last longer and with the stitches on the sponge, the glue tend to stick better and longer too!

.


.

Now you can save so much from buying these scouring sponge!

Hope this little tip helps you in your kitchen! Happy cooking!

9 comments:

  1. your mom is brilliant!!! just a note, i used to buy 3M sponges dat came in 3 in one packet and the green portion tend to detached itself cos i boil my sponges. then i switched to the individually packed 3M sponge dat is slightly bigger in size and the green portion doesnt detach itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never use my sponge more than a week. The germs/bacteria that accumulate in the sponge aren't worth it. Most times I change the sponge 2 x a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babe - yeah, I bought a lot of the 3 in a pack one when they were on sale!!! Now I have so many as I hardly cook during my pregnancy... that's why the sponge is under utilize! My hubby is using his 'own' sponge to wash as he dislike my type... :P

    Tricia - woah! you change once a week???? I think if you rinse the dishes/bowls and cutlery with water first before you sponge them, the sponge won't be as dirty as you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a 'phobia' thing. My sisters seems to think I am 'wasting' ... sigh! Thank goodness these sponges are really cheap over here!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia - hahaha... I have the same feeling as your sisters! Anyway, I guess everyone has their own ways in managing their gadgets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mum's brilliant! I hate this when it happens too. Now, I have to see IF I have a needle and thread :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. KittyCat - haha... yeah, I sew all my sponges now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you all tried SPONTEX scouring sponge - Stay Clean ? the green pad of Stay Clean had been treated to prevents greases and oil to get directly into the fiber, it makes the sponge last longer & more hygienic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommendation. Will check that brand out!

    ReplyDelete