Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Stir-fry Nai-Bai with Egg

I'm not sure if this is the correct name but it's what we called in Chinese. I saw it in Tesco and they named it as 'Baby-dao'. This vege is quite unique in it's outlook. It's small like Chinese brussel sprouts (those on my header image currently) but has a very rich green colour leaves and whitish stems. It's like a small plant and to me it looked like a mixed between baby bok-choy and choy-sum.

I was first introduced to this vege by my greatgrandaunt when I was staying with her in Hong Kong. That was some 11 years ago. Only quite recently (about 2 or 3 years) I started seeing them being sold here. They definitely don't come cheap too. For about 6 plants, I paid RM3. I used to buy them in Singapore too and normally a pre-packed will cost about SGD2.99 but the quantity is more.

.



Ingredients

  • 6 plants Nai-Bai (cut into 4 sections for bigger plants and 2 for smaller plants)

  • 2-3 cloves Garlic (coarsely chopped)

  • 1 egg (beaten)

  • 1/2 cup Water

  • Salt to taste

.
Methods

  1. Heat up wok with some oil and sautee chopped garlic till fragrant.

  2. Add in the Nai-Bai and stir for a while, sprinkle with some salt then cover over medium fire.

  3. Pour in water and cover for a few minutes stir occasionally.

  4. When the Nai-Bai looks soften, beat in the egg (sprinkle with some salt) and continue to stir till egg is cooked. Lift up and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment