Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Chicken with Shallots and Lemongrass Soup

I think more and more people are taking soupy dishes for their confinement these days as preparing soup is more convenient compared to other stir-fried dishes. However, many of the more traditional lots still believe that soup should only be taken earliest 7 days postpartum. That also depending on the types of ingredients used in the soup.

This time round, my mom prepared this simple and easy soup using shallots and lemongrass. She told me these two ingredients has the function of expelling 'wind' from the stomach so it is extremely good for me since I have a natural birth. I was lucky that my mom managed to buy some free range chickens for preparing this particular soup.

After taking this soup I can feel my tummy starts to work... yeah.... can feel the gas escaping! :P

.

.

Ingredients
(2 meals)

  • 1 Chicken (medium sized free range chicken)

  • 10-12 bulbs Shallots

  • 4-5 sticks Lemongrass (use the head and slightly smashed)

  • 1L Water

  • Salt for taste

.

Methods

  1. Wash and cut chicken into  sections. Remove skin if you want a less oily soup but most free range chicken are never too fat... :)

  2. Boil water and place shallots and lemongrass in and let it boil for 20 minutes before placing the chicken pieces in and let it boil for another hour. Alternatively, you can place everything into a double boil pot and double boil for about 2 hours.

3 comments:

  1. hiong mau pou kai.....yum yum....my mom used to cook this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazz,
    I never drink it until now! It was different from tom yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] the shallots and lemongrass soup I had, my mom also boiled some black beans with chicken feet soup. The great thing is, the whole [...]

    ReplyDelete