Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Banana Cupcakes

Before I started my own cupcake shoppe, I used to bake for our own consumption. Long before I attempted the steamed banana cupcakes, I used to do the baked version very often. Since my PiggyBeng has been complaining that we are eating too much fat (butter) as we have to chomp down all the excess cuppies from some of my orders, I seldom bake for ourselves anymore unless there is a birthday.

I must admit that steaming is simpler and less work and of course healthier but at times baked stuff has more fragrance and they have longer shelf live. Therefore, once in a while when I have the ingredients sitting around in the house I will still make an effort...

Here is a banana cupcake recipe which I got from one of the popular site but forgotten which since I am such a sloppy person! I have modified it a little to our taste. Everyone at home love it so I thought I'll just share it here with everyone. :)

.

.

Ingredients
Makes 2 dozens

  • 300g Flour

  • 2tsp Baking powder

  • 2tsp Bicarbonate of soda

  • ½ tsp Salt

  • 200g Sugar

  • 220g Butter

  • 4 Eggs (medium size)

  • 400g Bananas (I used pisang emas) - mashed

  • 5tbsp Milk

  • 1tsp Vanilla essence

  • 1tsp Banana essence (optional)

Methods

  1. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.

  2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy white. Add beaten eggs a little at a time. Mix well after each addition.

  3. Add in vanilla essence or banana essence, milk and mashed bananas.

  4. Fold in flour and mix well. Pour mixture into muffin cups (3/4 cup) and add a slice of banana on top before sending the tray into the oven and bake at 180?C for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cuppies comes out clean.

.

Tips: Turn your cupcakes tray after 15 minutes into baking to ensure eveness

14 comments:

  1. i just can't wait to go back to KK and on my oven again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Found your blog recently. Enjoyed reading & looking at those food you cooked & baked.

    Would like to ask where do you usually get your baking supply in Penang ??

    I like to 'collect' baking utensil, like cookies cutter ..... & those Bento supply although i seldom bake & cook.

    Always hope that Daiso will come to Penang soon since 100Yen shop at SSM was not so 'attractive' at all.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huisia,

    You don't have an oven in China??? Since you are there most of the time you should have one and your kids sure to enjoy some home bake stuff. :)

    Leeping,

    Thanks for visiting my blogs.
    I normally get my baking stuff from either the few hypermarkets in Penang or those supply shops around my place in Jelutong area. What I don't quite like about the baking supplies shops here are they normally sell their pre-packed stuff so not much ingredients information provided. Also the cookies cutters they sell are so boring... hehehe I got most of my cutters from overseas. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I just love your recipes... !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what kinda oven do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elsa,

    I am using a very simple table top electric oven. What I like about it is, it is big with 42L capacity. Just nice to have a tray of muffin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi

    i love banana and yr banana cupcakes inspire me to learn simple baking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ya Angeleyes,

    I know how to make banana cup cakes d coz of your sharing...loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angeleyes,

    I am scouting around for a table top electric oven. Can i know what's the brand of your oven?

    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angeleyes,

    I am currently using an OLD Zanussi standalone oven with gas burners. The oven is pretty good but the gas burners are a bit out cos its more than 18 yrs old. :) Will be shifting to new house soon. Due to budgets, I will not make any built in cabinets for my new oven. I am not a fan of microwave ovens. As such, I have been trying to find table top electric oven with large capacity. I hope you can let me know what electric oven you are using. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jen,

    My oven is from Jusco Selection which is quite similar to another brand sold in Jusco. The one I have is 42L so it is quite big and I can fit a 12 cup muffin pan on each level. So, at any one time I can bake 24 muffins but the lower level won't get the nice browning effect... :) Therefore, I normally bake 12 at a time coz I am very particular about the final outcome. :P

    Hope you can find a good oven.

    p/s: make sure it has a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angeleyes,

    Thanks for your info. :) I have been scouting around at electrical shops but they only sell smaller table top ovens i.e Milux, Cornell etc. which i don't think is sufficient cos I would want to bake cakes too. I will try to look for the oven in Jusco. :)

    You mentioned that the muffins on the lower level won't get the nice browning effect but will they be 'uncooked' inside?


    Thanks again and have a nice happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen,

    Well, cuppies on the second level normally will be cooked but
    just the browning is not very nice... like some cuppies will be darker and some will be lighter... like not even. So, what I normally do if I am in a hurry is to move them to the top level after removing the top level tray and let those on second level to be baked for a while more.

    Hope that helps!

    Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Angeleyes,

    Will slowly shop for one. Not in a hurry cos do not want to regret later. :)

    ReplyDelete