Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Nyonya Fried Yam Beans with Dried Cuttlefish - Jiu Hu Char

Before we moved to Melbourne, I've never know that they do sell yam beans (sengkuang) here. I was pretty happy to spot some when I visited the Asian Grocer and has been buying when they are on special. Well, they don't come cheap of course! On good days, they go for $7.99/kg but I normally get 50% off from the Asian Grocer near my place when they are about to close for the day.

The shape is a little odd at times compared to those sold in Malaysia but surprisingly they are sweet and juicy! Beside using them to make rojak the other family favorite is the fried yam beans with dried cuttlefish or famously known as a Nyonya dish, Jiu Hu Char.

.



.

Actually I liked my mom's version opposed to my MIL's but my mom's not the authentic ones since she is not a Peranakan whereas my MIL is married to a Baba so she cooked the authentic version which uses cabbage. My mom only use yam beans and carrots. However, I am adding the dried prawns which is part of my mom's recipe as I really like the taste and texture of both dried prawns and dried cuttlefish together.These are good to eat together with Chinese lettuce and sambal belacan :)

.

Ingredients

  • 1 Yam Bean (large around 600g) - skin peeled and shredded

  • 1 Carrot - shredded

  • ¼ Cabbage - shredded

  • 250 gm Pork belly - cut into 5x5mm strips

  • 60 gm Dried Prawns - soaked and coarsely chopped

  • 5 Dried Shitake mushrooms (pre-soaked and sliced thinly)

  • 15 gm Shredded dried cuttlefish (pre-soaked)

  • 4 Shallots - sliced thinly

  • 6 cloves Garlic - minced

  • 200-300 ml Water (or chicken stock)

  • Dark soy sauce (depending of preference, I like mid to dark tone)

  • 2 tbsp Osyter sauce

  • Light soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste

  • Sugar (optional as the yam beans are quite sweet by nature)

  • Oil for frying

  • 1 stalk spring onion (optional)

.

Methods

  1. Heat up frying pan/wok with some oil and sauté the chopped dried prawns and shredded dried cuttlefish till fragrant, removed and put aside.

  2. Add more oil to the same frying pan (around 2 tablespoon if using a non stick pan) and sauté the garlic and shallot till light brown then add in the pork belly strips and cook till 70% cooked.

  3. Toss in the shredded cabbage and fry for 5 minutes (or until soften), then add in the shredded yam beans and carrot and continue to fry till well mixed. Add in the sliced mushrooms.

  4. Add in dark soy sauce and stir for another minute, toss in the sautéed dried prawns and cuttlefish. Fry for 2 minutes then add in water/stock, stir to mix and cover for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

  5. When about to be ready, add in sugar, oyster sauce, light soy sauce and pepper to taste.

  6. Sprinkle the chopped spring onion in before dishing up.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment