Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Fruits & Nuts Cinnamon Rolls

Now that my bun making engine is in the momentum, I decided to try as many bakes as possible before I drop down! There are just too many buns and breads I wanted to make but time is always a factor since it requires a lot of time since there are so many steps involved. The proofing of doughs have been the toughest as I have to manage my time so that my baby is napping when the dough is ready to be shaped.

Anyhow, I decided to bake some cinnamon rolls in between if I can find the time as it is simpler compared to making those assorted buns. However, cinnamon rolls are more sinful since there are more butter and sugar used but I can tell you, the aroma while it is baking in the oven will make it all worth while... not to mention when you bite on it! And they are great when accompany with some nice fruit tea! :)

.

.
I've tried 2 recipes for the cinnamon rolls and found out that the Pai Bao or Hong Kong Sweet Bun recipe is more fragrant compared to the one with less ingredients though still using Tang Zhong. The texture is more or less the same so if you are out of some of the ingredients for Pai Bao, you want actually use this recipe. :)

.

.
I love how soft and fluffy these rolls are!

The weather here is cold so it get harden faster as compared to when you are in the tropics. Therefore, each time I want to eat one of the rolls I will heat up for about 15-20 seconds in the microwave and it comes out light and fluffy again!

.

.

This recipe is adapted from here but instead using a bread maker, I used my mixer for the kneading.

.

Ingredients (yields 9 rolls in a 7"x7" baking pan)

  • 210 gm Bread flour

  • 50 gm Cake flour

  • 5 gm Yeast

  • 50 gm Sugar

  • ½ tsp Salt

  • 1 Egg + water = 110 gm

  • 75 gm Tang Zhong

  • 30 gm Butter (cut into small cubes)


Filling

  • 30 gm Butter, cut into small chunks and soften

  • 30 gm Brown sugar + 1 tbsp ground cinnamon powder

  • 100 gm Mixed dried fruits or raisins + Nuts (I used raisins, dried apricots and walnuts)

Some beaten egg and melted butter for glazing.

.

Method:

  1. Put all the wet ingredients except butter into the mixer, stir them a bit then add in the flour, sugar and yeast. Then fit the mixer with the hook attachment and put on speed 2 to start kneading. When everything comes together, put in the salt and continue kneading for a minute or two before putting in the butter.

  2. Once the kneading is finished, approximately 30 minutes, remove and place dough on a floured surface.

  3. Punch down and shape it round. Rest dough for 15 minutes covered with a cling wrap or cloth (I proofed in the oven for 30 mins as it was a cold day here).

  4. Roll dough into a flat sheet of 28cm x 40cm with a rolling pin.

  5. Spread the cinnamon sugar evenly and top it with butter cubes and the dried fruits and nuts.

  6. Roll it up swiss-roll style and cut into 9 pieces of about 3cm thick.

  7. Put them in a 7"x7" (20cm x 20cm) baking pan and proof for 45 minutes or till double in size in a warm place, covered with a damp towel.

  8. Glaze with egg wash and bake at 180C for 20 minutes.

  9. Remove from oven and quickly glaze with melted butter for added fragrance and presentation.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Long long time I didnt drop by here. Glad that you are back into cooking/baking mode. :) Have a great weekend over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes Rose, I have neglected this site for a while as there was just too many things happened the past 2 years. Now that I am here in Melbourne, I am definitely cooking more than my time in M'sia. I took the photos but hard to find time to post the recipes! :P

    ReplyDelete