Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Strawberries on Cream Sponge Cake

You will not believe if I tell you that I've never attempted making any sponge cake! Unbelievable yeah? For someone who used to have a cupcake blogshop, this is indeed rare! Most people would have thought that I can whip up any types of cakes but in actual fact, there are so many varieties which I have yet to attempt.

Since we are putting on a lot of weight in this cold weather, I tried not to consume too much fatty food. They kids have been putting on lots of weight too so I have to go for alternatives to cut down on our oil & sugar consumption. For healthier choice, instead of cooking with butter, I'll go with sunflower or canola oil. I'll try to use brown sugar for cooking and baking whenever possible.

While the kids have been pestering me to bake more cakes for them, I opted to make sponge cake which uses vegetable oil oppose to butter cake. For that, my sponge cake journey begins...

I throng the net looking for some easy to make sponge cake recipes and was glad to compile a few recipes and modified them accordingly so I'll have my very own sponge cake recipe that works for me. The initial recipe was adapted from here.

With the cheap winter strawberries in season... I took the opportunity to make this really light and airy sponge with with cream topped with sliced strawberries which was a hit with the family! :D

.

.

Ingredients

(A)
  • 1 Eggs (whole)

  • 4 Egg yolks

  • 50ml Sunflower oil (or any non fragrant oil)

  • ½tsp Vanilla essence

(B)
  • 50g Cake flour (low gluten flour)

(C)
  • 4 Egg white

(D)
  • 50g Castor sugar

  • ¼tsp Salt


Method
  1. Beat (A) with a whisk till well mixed in a big mixing bowl.

  2. Slowly sieve in (B) into (A) till well combine.

  3. Using the whisk attachment on your mixer beat (C) till frothy and add in (D) and beat till stiff peak.

  4. Fold in the egg white & sugar mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a few additions but not over beating but making sure they are well combine. It is okie if you can still see patches of egg white foam in the batter.

  5. Pour into two baking tins (I used a 6" round tin) lined with parchment paper.

  6. Bake at 170 (or depending on your oven's heat) for about 20-25 minutes or till cake tester comes out clean. It should rise 2x the height of the batter.

  7. Leave the baked sponge in the oven with its door ajar for a few minutes before taking it from the tin and leave it cool upside down on a cooling rack.


Cream & Decorations
  • 1 punnet Fresh strawberries hulled and sliced thinly

  • ¼ punnet strawberries cut into small chunks

  • 1 cup Whipping cream

  • 3 tbsp Castor sugar

  1. Whip the cream with sugar in high till it foams stiff peak.

  2. Spread some of the whipped cream on top of one sponge, sprinkle with the strawberry chunks and another another layer of whipped cream.

  3. Stack the 2nd sponge, spread a layer of whipped cream on top and decorate with sliced strawberries...

No comments:

Post a Comment