Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Steamed Banana Cupcakes

I have 2 over-ripe banana sitting on my table and I really wanted to use them to make banana cake but 2 is not enough for the recipe I have so what shall I do? Another was, I was lazy to bring out the mixer coz I already going to have some cupcake projects later in the week... excuses.. excuses... :mrgreen:

Then I remember I came across a few sites about making steam cakes and I thought, why not? So I went to google about 'Steamed Banana Cakes' and first on the list was from Chow Times.

Was extremely happy that the ingredients called for the recipe are so easy! Save me lots of time and electricity too! And of course they are less oily (no butter) and not heaty at all! The only thing that needs to compromise is of course the texture and taste... got to eat them fresh!

I took the opportunity to try out my silicon cups... just to test them if they can take the heat... and yes they did! :) The cakes turn out to be quite springy... like sponge... hehheehe

.

.

Ingredients

  • 2 ripe banana, mashed (if you have large banana, use one will do)

  • 1 egg

  • 1 teaspoon oil

  • 2 teaspoons water

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/4 cup icing sugar (I used brown sugar)

  • 100g (close to 1 cup) all-purpose flour

  • 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips or raisins (optional)

.

.

Methods

  1. Mashed the bananas and leave aside.

  2. Mix the rest of the ingredients in another mixing bowl and it is well mixed add in the mashed banana.

  3. Heat up the steamer and steam till all the banana cupcakes are cooked which is around 10-15 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. Oohh, lovely recipe. Might give it a try ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... looks yummy! And also looks simple & easy to make!
    Made me wanted to try to make these. But then, I don't think it's going to happen :P Super lazy mom! :oops:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh by the way, what brand of baking powder & all purpose flour do you use??

    I suddenly got the urge to try making this cupcakes for the coming weekend. But then, I don't bake cakes and don't have any idea which one to buy :oops:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, look yummy and healthy. Definitely will try to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    Thanks for popping by... :)

    Ryan's Mami,
    I normally use BlueKey brand of flour... and for this I used the Super White and Fine flour. For baking powder, I will use Royal or sometimes Nona if I can't find the other.... :)

    LW,
    Yeap.... no butter so not so oily and healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't heard of this before. Sounds and looks really appetising. And healthy too, another bonus. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] & utensil plus no experience in making or baking cakes! I However, few days ago I dropped by Angeleyes’ blog and saw this recipe again. Then suddenly, I’ve the urge of trying this recipe. I was [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. u know what...
    i feel like putting a screen in my kitchen. then i can view yr recipes easily ..priniting them will waste paper ma....

    *acks*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel,

    I think you can use wholemeal flour.... I've not tried that though... let me know if you have tried so I can get some next time... :P

    Just write it on an old book for reference... don hv to print out... :) My cooking is always spontaneous one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] started my own cupcake shoppe, I used to bake for our own consumption. Long before I attempted the steamed banana cupcakes, I used to do the baked version very often. Since my PiggyBeng has been complaining that we are [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really want to try these! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for popping by Betty!
    This banana cakes are the healthier version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. [...] I ever made the Steamed Banana Cupcakes but that recipes is not totally fool proof so I tried to search for another and was glad I found [...]

    ReplyDelete