Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Grilled Turmeric Chicken Thigh

I bought some whole chicken thighs during one of the week and have wanted to cook some curry chicken but I forgot to buy the chili mix and coconut milk! I don't normally like to use premix curry powder as PiggyBeng said it is very heaty for him so I will avoid using unless it is absolute necessary...

The chicken thighs have been sitting in the fridge for almost a week and I forgotten about them totally until one day I was rummaging through my freezer. And since I have nothing much to cook, these chicken thighs come in real handy. The problem is, I don't have any ideas or a particular recipe in mind. So, what I do next?

Again I rummaged through my food cabinets trying to find any spices that I can make do with. The thing is, other than my Fried Nestum Chicken, I hardly cook chicken dishes as they may need ingredients that I do not have on hand. Therefore, it can be tough to think of any chicken recipes in a flash.

As I hardly use my oven, I decided to grill these chicken thighs. The outcome: YUMMY! I find them less oily and juicier... so it's healthier too! I even stir-fried some celery with garlic to go along with the rice too. The other good thing, it's little hassle and the kitchen is grease free!

.

.

Ingredients
(Serves 2)

  • 2 whole Chicken thighs (cut some diagonal lines so heat can penetrate)

  • Turmeric and Cheyenne pepper - Enough to marinade both thighs

  • Salt to taste

  • A few squeeze of lemon juice

  • Some basting oil (Olive oil + light soy sauce + sugar + lemon juice) - Optional

Method

  1. Marinade the thighs with enough turmeric (fresh or powder), lemon juice and salt for at least 1-2 hours prior to baking. Best if it's over night.

  2. Line baking tray with grease proof paper or silver foil. Place the thighs on the tray and bake at 200 degree Celsius, flipping occassionally.

  3. Glaze with basting oil if you want the thighs to be more fragrant.

  4. Grill for at least 40 minutes or till thoroughly cooked (when no more blood oozing out).

.

7 comments:

  1. sorry, new to cooking...
    but how much is 'enough to coat?'
    can you give me an exact measurement?
    also, i do not have cheyenne pepper, can i use black pepper instead?
    a few squeeze of lemon juice = how many ml?
    thank you so so much


    You can substitute cheyenne powder with chili powder. If you use black pepper, the taste might be different. As for the lemon juice, use about 1tbsp should be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, one last one
    how much sugar and light soya sauce?
    i'm making 2 thighs
    thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quinn,

    You can use about 1tbsp for both.
    Should be more than enough. You can keep for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmm sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hihi Angeleyes, thanks for sharing such this recipe! I have 2 bottles of the mentioned seasoning powder in hand and you have just taught me how to use them ..haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey HN,

    No mention... always happy if someone finds my recipes useful. :)

    ReplyDelete