Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

SPAM Fried Rice

We seldom eat can food when we are in Malaysia since we can get fresh food at a relatively low prices outside. So, when I am not cooking (too lazy) we'll just walk over to the nearby hawker stall and pack food. However, it is entirely different when we moved to Melbourne. Eating out or buying outside food can be a costly affair. Therefore, we avoid eating out or buying outside food as much as possible. We'll, we can't be eating fast food all the time rite? And the Asian food here sucks... they are all the same... taste and choice wise!

That was why we have started stocking up on can food for convenience sake. The weather can be really cold sometimes and we need to have hot food during these time. The kids and the hubby don't really fancy having sandwiches all the time so I have to think of ways to make food interesting! That is tough job!

Anyway, we have a knack for luncheon meat and when Coles was having ½ price sale for their SPAM, I just can't resist stocking up... after all, can food can be stored for quite a while. Even my mom bought a few cans home when she was here last month cause they are so expensive back in Malaysia! 1 can of SPAM is selling @ RM17.50 in Cold Storage! Insanity!

.



Ingredients
  • 1 can SPAM (I used the one with Bacon variety) - cubed

  • 1 cup Fench beans - diced

  • 1 cup Carrot - diced

  • 1 cup Corn Kernels - drain away the water

  • 3 cup Cooked rice - cooled

  • 2 Eggs

  • 1 tbsp Sauteed minced/chopped garlic

  • Oil for frying


Method
  1. Heat up frying pan with some oil (I used non stick pan so uses less oil) and lightly stir fry the French beans and carrot for about 5 minute on medium fire. Lift up and put aside.

  2. Using the same pan, add in a tbsp of oil and stir fry the the cubed SPAM till they turn brownish, lift up and put aside.

  3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and fry it in the same pan with another tbsp of oil.

  4. Add in the rice into the egg mixture and stir vigorously until they are well mixed.

  5. Toss in the French beans, carrot, corn kernel and SPAM and mix them well.

  6. Add the sauteed garlic and stir for another minute or so until you can hear the 'pop' sound from the hot rice.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy, the price of Spam at Cold Storage!! Due to the Aussie Dollar against the Ringgit, I guess...

    I TOTALLY agree with you about the Asian food in Oz! I think it's the worst Asian food in the world! What's worse, most of the Asians living here (especially the food bloggers in Perth) keep raving on about how good the food is at Malaysian restaurants! Compared to their own home-cooked food, I guess *LOL* because it definitely sucks compared to even the worst coffee shop food in Malaysia. To be honest, while living in Malaysia all those years ago, I used to think Singapore food was appalling. Now, after years of crappy Australian Asian food, when I visit Singapore, I think the food there is actually delicious compared to what we get here!! I am so glad I've finally come across someone who also thinks the Asian food here sucks! I was starting to feel like a fuss-pot *lol*

    Like you, I stock up with cans for quick meals rather than bothering to get dressed and go out and pay high prices for mediocre food. Even the kwailo food sucks and pubs - supposedly cheap - charge stupid five star hotel prices (sometimes $40-$60 for a main course). It'd be alright if the food was also five star but it's mostly not! I get the Ayam brand mackerel from Kongs, an Asian grocery store in Perth, which I and my hubby really enjoy with raw slices of onion on lazy Sunday mornings or rainy days when we prefer to stay home. I love raw chopped garlic, spring onion and chilli with mine too. So much easier, more tasty, and less expensive than eating out nowadays!

    Thanks for this recipe, will get some Spam and try it out. Brings back fond memories of luncheon meat dishes in Malaysia!

    Regards,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kitty for popping by! I miss SG food more than MY's food actually!
    Their pepper crabs is still better those in MY!

    ReplyDelete