Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Meaty Bolognese

Now that my baby is at the stage where she is getting more active and mobile, I have less time to prepare lunch hence I will cook and freeze some food which my boy likes. All I need to do is to reheat these frozen food stash before I go and fetch him from school.

One of these is pasta/spaghetti with bolognese sauce. The sauce can be kept in the freeze up to a month. All I need to do is to put appropriate portion into small containers and deep freeze them once they have cooled down.

.

.

Ingredients

  • 500g Meat (chicken/pork/beef) minced/ground

  • 80g Frozen mixed vege - optional

  • 4 Button Mushroom (sliced/coarsely chopped) - optional

  • 1 jar Bolognese/pasta sauce - I used the 575g jar

  • Pepper and salt for taste

  • 250g pasta

  • Olive oil (to fry the meat and to seperate pasta/spaghetti)

  • Water
.

Methods

  1. Heat up a frying pan with some olive oil and stir-fry minced meat till 70% cooked.

  2. Toss in the mix vege & sliced button mushroom and continue to stir.

  3. Add in the bolognese/pasta sauce and mixed well and add in water (about 1/2 cup). Stir till cook and sprinkle with pepper and salt to taste.

  4. In a pot, boil 1.5 little of water, add a teaspoon of salt and wait till boil before tossing in pasta/spaghetti and cook according direction on the package. Drain and add in some olive oil to avoid them from sticking to each other.

6 comments:

  1. I never heard of balognese sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] out, I don’t have much time to cook extentively for lunch so I defrost my last box of frozen meaty balognese instead. Just cook some pasta and I’m [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate - I mis-spelled the word! So sorry! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange, but your blog came up on the 1st page of Google search, right under the Wiki page, and it isn't even the right recipe to make bolognese. This looks to me like a Malaysian/Singaporean street variety. To make real bolognese you absolutely need Pancetta, an Italian bacon. Remember that Bolognese comes from Bologna, in Italy. So to make Bolognese sauce we need to pay attention to cooking shows where they feature Italian chefs. There are also a few essential stuff you omitted: carrots, celery, and onions. You also left out some Italian spices. On Google search also I found another recipe for Bolognese sauce that you might want to try, so you'll know how it's done.

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bolognese-Sauce-107226

    Remember: pancetta. God, how I just wish I can get that here. Local Tesco don't stock this. In my part of town we have to duck inside a special non-halal section just to find any pork product, as if buying pork itself is a crime. (OK, so maybe it is.)

    As to the choice of chicken for meat: there are many other Italian dishes that feature chicken, but I haven't seen any caucasian cook Bolognese sauce with it. Ergo, it's a Chinese thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was supposed to be a simple sauce for quick cooking. :D
    It is not easy to find all the ingredients unless pre-planning is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] I don’t have so much time to spare. So, I decided to go for the simplest where I used bottled bolognese sauce andwith added [...]

    ReplyDelete